Congratulations to 2018 Summer Writers Colony visiting writer Layli Long Soldier who has won the National Book Critics Circle Award for poetry!
Layli's award winning book WHEREAS: Poems will be read and discussed as a featured book for this summers's writers colony. Other visiting writers include:
2018 Literary Salon Visiting Writers:
• Stephanie Burt, critic, poet, and author of Advice from the Lights: Poems
• Teju Cole, acclaimed writer, critic, and photographer, and author of the innovative new photobook Blind Spot
• Sarah Gerard, author of the critically acclaimed essay collection Sunshine State
• Lisa Ko, author of the novel The Leavers, a 2017 National Book Award Finalist
• Hannah Tinti, best-selling novelist, co-founder of One Story, and author, most recently, of The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley: A Novel
Registration for this year's Summer Writers Colony, which takes place from June 4-21, is now open.
This intensive three-week program provides a supportive yet challenging atmosphere in which to develop as a writer, whether you are embarking on a new writing project or developing a work-in-progress. You and your peers share and critique one another's ongoing projects in a daily writing workshop moderated by a member of The New School's distinguished writing faculty. Instructors also provide detailed written feedback on all work submitted. In the evenings, our literary salons bring notable writers into conversation with the students and faculty of the colony.
Through additional craft sessions and publishing panels, you can try your hand at specialized writing activities such as experimental fiction, food writing, or writing a walking poem during a literary tour of Greenwich Village. The entire Summer Writers Colony community gathers for celebratory readings of student and faculty work.
• Courses meet from 12:00 noon to 8:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday.
• Mornings and weekends are reserved for individual writing practice and for enjoying your summer in New York City.
• Undergraduate students can earn 6 credits for transfer.
• The Summer Writers Colony is also open to noncredit students.
For more information on the Writers Colony, please click here.
To read MFA student Melanie Curran's interview with Layli Long Soldier, click here.